Deciding on DMACC

DMACC WBB (@DmaccWBB) / Twitter

DMACC WBB (@DmaccWBB) / Twitter

Bella Brandi, JP Student Writer

As students move into high school, they have the opportunity to pick from many advanced and college classes offered at North Polk. 

Like other students, I had the choice between AP classes and DMACC classes or both. Since I’m a freshman, I wanted to get a head start on college credits so I could possibly get my associate’s degree before graduating high school like I planned. I chose to take as many DMACC classes as I could. Although I would be missing out on my GPA being weighed on a 5.0 scale, I was not too worried; I would have three more years to improve.

I felt like I had more variety with DMACC classes. I had more of an opportunity to explore different career paths through the electives and I was able to take more classes I enjoyed, specifically psychology.

Compared to regular high school courses, I felt like the DMACC classes I took were a lot more relaxed. We only had an assignment or two per week, then we would take notes the rest of the time. I felt like the class was slower and went in more depth with the topic. 

The only downside was that you could not retake tests. Since I didn’t excel on my first couple of tests in DMACC Intro to Psychology, I thought that was going to be a problem for me. Each test was every four chapters of notes, which only left me so much time to get my grade up. 

I encouraged myself to stay on top of my work and study more often instead of trying to find a shortcut to things. After keeping up with the notes and studying I was able to bring my grade up and I passed the class with an A.