The Student News Site of North Polk High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

The Orbit

SEPC Thrift Sale

Martin Bernetti
Image sourced from Al Jazeera showing the fast fashion dump in Chile.

The North Polk environmental club will hold its third annual thrift sale in the commons of the highschool on the days of Monday, Oct. 23 through Thursday, Oct. 26. 

The club will start the collection of donations early next week starting Monday, Oct. 16. The way that people will be able to drop off their donations will be in bins in all buildings of the North Polk District including Big Creek and West Elementary. The bins will be located near the office area of each building and the collection of items will go throughout next week, ending on Friday, Oct. 20.

Unlike past years, the thrift sale will only be selling items after school throughout the week, which is also the week of conferences. President of the Students for Environmental Protection and Conservation (SEPC) club, Addison Happ explained that this was done intentionally, as in past years, a large quantity of childrens clothes has been donated due to these children growing out of them. She expressed that the hope of the SEPC club is that more parents are able to purchase childrens clothes for their kids when passing by the high school for their older kids conferences. 

Happ shared past prices for the items of clothing which are as follow:

Sweatshirts- $5

Pants- $3

Shirts- $2

Coats- $7

Socks- $1

Hats and gloves- $1

She then stated that items of clothing that were of higher value would be placed at a higher price. 

Happ explained that she hopes for numerous people to participate in not only the donations of clothing, but also in the purchasing in the school’s thrift sale, but overall second-hand.

She touched on the subject of fast fashion and its effects on the environment which can be seen around the world. In an article for Al Jazeera, a picture gallery is incorporated to show the severity of fast fashion dumps in a desert in Chile. The article goes on to talk about the non-biodegradable nature of clothing, making it the reason for making it hard to dispose of. Furthermore, the article shares other effects of fast fashion on the environment including water waste and the effect on greenhouse gasses. 

“I understand that everyone wants to keep up with the trends, but it is just not worth it in the long term. A person trying to look good for a trend that will end within the next week,” expressed Happ.