The Student News Site of North Polk High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

The Orbit

Burnout, What Is It?

Image from Range.

With finals, gloomy weather and the want for a change in classes, the end of the first semester of the 2023-2024 school year could be seen as a big desire for both students and staff at North Polk High School.

With this desire may also come the sense of detachment from courses being taken and the overall lack of motivation. This and headaches, a sense of failure, changes in eating/sleeping patterns and more are common signs of experiencing a burnout. 

The Understood Organization defines burnout as “a state of mental, physical, or emotional exhaustion,” and explains that it can be caused by not getting to relax due to ongoing stress and or frustration. This can be experienced by anyone who is overwhelmed with numerous stressors that could include but are not limited to school, work and home demands. 

So how does one get out of this situation?

Health One and Two teacher, Anne Sloan expressed that everyone may have a different situation and therefore a different way of dealing with burnout, and furthermore create healthy boundaries for themselves.

Sloan expressed “I think this has a lot to do with self-care strategies and making sure that we are being proactive and not reactive,” meaning rather than waiting for the stressor to stop, one should take action and help themselves. 

She furthermore listed a list of activities that students may be able to try and find what is best for them:

• Time management
  • Establishing priorities
  • Sleep Hygiene
  • Limiting screen time
  • Incorporating physical activity
  • Fueling your body appropriately and as best you can
  • Have your “people” to go to and talk to—reach out and talk, don’t isolate
  • Mindfulness activities which can include meditation, deep breathing and more
  • Knowing resources of where to go if you need help

Sources:

https://www.understood.org/en/articles/burning-out-in-school-what-it-means-and-how-to-help 

https://www.darlingdowns.health.qld.gov.au/about-us/our-stories/feature-articles/signs-you-might-be-experiencing-a-burnout-and-how-to-regain-balance-in-your-life#:~:text=Burnout%20is%20not%20caused%20solely,as%20work%20or%20home%20demands.