The Student News Site of North Polk High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

The Orbit

To the Well

Photo of the team taken from Flickr.

The North Polk Girls Basketball team has had an incredibly successful 2023-24 season. The Comets are going into post-season undefeated in the conference, and conference champions. The girl’s record overall this year was 20-2 in the regular season. Additionally, the girls have become regional champions and are headed to the state tournament.

The girl’s first regional game was on Feb. 17, against Indianola, and won 49-20. They then played on Feb. 20 against Maquoketa with the Comets winning 49-42, punching their ticket to state.

The first state game was played on Feb. 27 against DCG. The Comets won 48-42 and advanced to the semi-finals. The girls will play on Feb. 29 against Clear-Creek Amana. The team has continued practicing and preparing for the very anticipated game.

“I am sad to see the season ending, but I am excited to see what we can do in the postseason,” said Greta Dillinger, a guard on the girl’s basketball team.

Dillinger along with the rest of the team have been preparing for this game by putting an emphasis on collaboration and working hard throughout the season.

“I think we are working really well together as a team which has been shown in our success this season,” Dillinger explained.

The girls have a wide variety of skills that have enhanced their accomplishments this year. Varying heights, shooting abilities and ball handling have been the perfect combination for this year’s success.

“We all have different personalities and skills on the court. We learn a lot from each other and everyone brings something to the team,” said Becca Aagard, a 6’3 post.

Though most are sad to see the season end, the girls have a lot of upcoming activities to be excited about. A lot of the girls are multiple sport athletes and are excited for their upcoming seasons.

“When basketball ends I will transition to tennis season,” said Aagard, adding “I am excited to see our success in tennis as well.”

The girls have had major accomplishments this season and are not slowing down. The whole North Polk community is excited to see what these girls will do next.

“We hope for a great outcome this year and we will keep working for next year,” said Aagard, although many would argue the girls have already made the North Polk community proud.