The Student News Site of North Polk High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

The Orbit

Memorial Day: Honoring the Fallen

Image from the Instagram user “marleylilly.”

Memorial Day has been a federal holiday since 1971, though it had been celebrated over a century earlier on May 30, 1868 in order to commemorate the fallen soldiers of the Civil War. Now, it is seen as a day to honor the lives lost during service in the United States Armed Forces. 

While those who may not have had any family that have passed away in service or family that served at all, and view this holiday as just a day off, it is important to remember and memorialize those that gave their lives serving their country. 

Moreover, it is important to understand the distinction between Memorial Day and other holidays, as this is not one that was founded for the purpose of a joyful celebration. In an article by Rachel Engel she described that “[Memorial Day] was established as a way for the country to set aside time to honor the troops who had given their lives in service to America.” Engel moreover listed a set of things one should remember for Memorial Day in this article

With this in mind, current soldier and recruiter for the Iowa National Guard Alex Niehaus expressed “we get to take a moment and pause to remember those who served and allows us to take a breath and see how far we’ve come and what led us to get here.” 

He went on to explain that in his family, his grandfather served in the infantry branch in World War II, one in which he too was in, and he was able to carry both his memory and honor his contributions to his country on Memorial Day. 

Moreover, while not everyone may have the same experience with Memorial Day given that not everyone’s family or themselves have served in the armed forces, it is still important to understand and honor those who served and passed. Niehaus explained that in this may be the case, taking a moment to appreciate those lives and continue to see their contributions can make a positive contribution to their memory. 

In addition, he explained that appreciating those that are currently serving and/or those who have served that one knows of by thanking them is valued.