ISASP Preparation

ISASP+Preparation

Olivia Moody, Newspaper Editor

With a sabbatical last year, students do not have an optimistic outlook on ISASP testing. 

Previously called the Iowa Assessments, this testing is important to measure student’s growth and competence with core skills. High school students take math, language and reading tests. Sophomores are also required to take a science test. 

Wyatt Zoske, a high school math teacher, hopes the scores will come in sooner than later: “we could use them to help the students take the appropriate classes.”

For the first time, North Polk will be having the ISASP testing completely online. To get ready for the April 19 testing week, the high school is giving tools to prepare students during flex time. This includes practice tests, computer checks as well as the schedule for each day of testing. 

Counselor, Jessica Allen, wants students to be prepared: “we hope in doing so we can ease some of the test anxiety some students may feel. Above all, we want students to do their personal best!”

Students also have to alert the office if they have any Chromebook issues. Students are required to use their provided computers for the testing. 

When it comes to online learning, the format will look a little different. “Online learners will have three afternoons when they can come in and test in a very small group setting in the boardroom,” responded Allen.

The ISASP testing will alter the school schedule for the week of April 19. many students are dreading the full week of testing.

While the school district sees this as a valuable way to assess the district’s progress, some students voice their dislike. “Standardized tests like the ISASP tests are pretty useless in determining how an individual is doing and is more for the benefit of saying, ‘Well, look at how well this state scored compared to this state,’” voices sophomore Angel Lindell. 

Although many other students share Lindell’s opinion, the school has almost an entire week planned for the testing. Monday of the week of April 19 is clear, but the rest of the weekdays have testing right at 8:15 a.m and regular scheduled classes starting at either 9:35 or 10:45. Because of the schedule changes, normal classes will be shorter. 

Some of the students and parents are skeptical of the four-day testing week. Zoske believes that it is the best option. He shared “there’s no better way to do it. It is better to do it one [test] at a time than all on the same day.”