Gender Sexuality Alliance

The GSA meets on the second and fourth Monday each month at 9:00 a.m.

Olivia Moody, Newspaper Editor

While having a gender sexuality alliance (GSA) is not a new thing for North Polk High School, Senior Sydney Mast and other students are giving it a new image.

During the 2020-2021 school year, the GSA went on hiatus because most of their planned activities were not Covid-19 safe and many of the members were graduating seniors. 

Mast saw this as a perfect opportunity to give the club a makeover; she approached Reece Satre, activities director, for approval, and asked Liz Huether and Susan Vernon if they would continue being the GSA advisors. 

Mast explained her vision for the new GSA, “I want the new GSA to be more educational, where we can spread awareness, but also spend some time together to share frustrations and come up with solutions.” 

The GSA wants to also do activities such as movies, holiday parties, and various other activities to help the club members bond. 

Mo Eyanson-Renken is a member of the refurbished GSA. Eyanson-Renken wanted to join the club to be closer to friends and to feel the comfort of being around people similar to him. 

“I hope that someday we can eventually change how the school reacts to LGBTQ+ issues. I see people who are treated unfairly and I hope to help pave a path towards change when it comes to this issue. I also hope that we could learn about LGBTQ+ history. A lot of us don’t get the chance to learn about our history, so we have to educate ourselves,” noted Eyanson-Renken. 

The GSA is a great way for all students to learn, advocate and connect with people that support and are a part of the LGBTQ+ community. 

Eyanson-Renken reflects on this saying, “I hope that people can find comfort and peace. I understand how difficult it can be living around people who don’t fully accept you. I hope that people can find a home within the GSA.”