Central Elementary Glow Up

Olivia Moody, Newspaper Editor

Beginning last month, Central Elementary is officially under construction. 

If you ask Central Teachers, like long-time second grade teacher Lisa Moody, this project was long awaited.

“Our classrooms in the newer addition were only constructed to have 20 students because the board at that time wanted to limit class size to 20. However, now our class sizes are about 26 to 28 students. Our student population used to be mostly rural students and families however, now because of the growth in North Ankeny we are gaining a more diverse population of students and families,” stated Moody. 

The construction is divided into two phases. Phase one will include making the front office safer by requiring that all guests have to go through the office before entering the building. 

Phase two of the project will include adding classroom space on the west side of the school. The addition helps with growing class numbers and also includes renovating the band and art room as well as the cafeteria. 

Phase one is set to be done by the beginning of next school year with phase two scheduled to be done a year later. 

Moody stated, “While we will have to make a lot of adjustments while the construction crews are doing their work, in the end, it will be worth it and we will have an even better learning space for our students to learn.”