Boys to State!

End of 2021 Wrestling Season

Chance Bockenstedt, Dylan Meiners, and Cole Sanger after qualifying for state at districts.

Alexis Dorsett, Newspaper Editor

Seniors Chance Bockenstedt and Dylan Meiners, and Junior Cole Sanger, made it to state wrestling for the 2020-2021 season, where they will wrestle and compete for a state championship title.

To be able to qualify for state, a wrestler must place first or second at districts. Then, they are allowed to participate in the tournament. Each wrestler has to wrestle the bracket they are in until they lose, or continue to win to get the state championship title of this year’s season for the district and weight class they are competing in. 

Chance Bockenstedt has qualified for state three times, including this year. Last year, he made it into the semi final tournament where he then got an injury and had to forfeit and received 6th place. Bockenstedt shared, “there’s a lot of unfinished business I have down at Wells Fargo.” This year, he won his match the first night allowing himself to continue in the state tournament. The second day of state wrestling Bockenstedt won his first two matches allowing him to wrestle in the quarterfinals later that afternoon, where he lost to a tough opponent. He wrestled again later that night and overall placed seventh at state. 

Dylan Meiners qualified for state two times, this year and last year. In his previous season, although he made it to state, he did not place in the tournament. This season he stated before state wrestling began “I’m ready to enjoy the three days with coaches and teammates. It’s fun to meet people and compete all in the same area, and I think we’re all ready to go to a buffet on Sunday.” However, this year he won one match and lost one match allowing him to continue and wrestle in the consolations, where he lost to a challenging competitor. 

The third state qualifier was Cole Sanger, and this season was his first time qualifying. He placed second at districts, losing against a tough competitor. Before going into state, Sanger shared he felt “a bit nervous, but I’m also excited to have an opportunity to wrestle.” He wrestled the best he could, but lost two matches on the first night of state wrestling. Since Sanger is only a junior, he has another season to strive for more. 

All in all, North Polk High School is proud of what they have accomplished at state wrestling. The tough opponents that lead the boys to fall in their matches will only help them in the future if they decide to continue their wrestling careers.