The Student News Site of North Polk High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

The Orbit

North Polk Starts a Book Club

Pictures compiled by Zoe Marquez through Tik Tok videos by alexagirl29 and jordan.paige.s
Pictures compiled by Zoe Marquez through Tik Tok videos by “alexagirl29” and “jordan.paige.s”

Starting in the month of March, the high school will be holding meetings for the first advisor led book club established since the beginning of the district. The advisor in charge for this club is Regina Weig, who is the librarian and media center advisor for the high school.

While many may be familiar with the “Battle of the Books” program in elementary school, the book club will consist of meetings only to discuss the substance and overall thoughts of the books picked with peers in a collaborative setting.

Weig explained the idea for the book club came from her enjoyment of reading and furthermore being able to discuss books with students.

“I love seeing how excited students are about reading and look forward to discussing this book with them,” expressed Weig. 

Furthermore, staff such as activities director Matt Eichorn, Laura Silver, Danielle Wolfe and district librarian Patricia Slechta were involved in making the book club. 

Slechta, specifically, purchased and donated three books for the first reading while Weig herself purchased and donated six. Moreover, the school borrowed copies from many libraries within the state and students can read the book electronically. 

Junior Emma Bensley who joined the book club explained that she saw it as an open space to discuss a hobby of many. She then stated that she is excited to meet new people and be able to understand different perspectives on the books planned.

The first book that the club will read is “That Weekend” by Kara Thomas, a mystery thriller novel that will be for the months of late March and early April. 

The dates chosen for the discussions of said book were chosen to accommodate the schedules of students, therefore there will be two meetings in which one will discuss the first half of the book and another for the second. Furthermore, Weig explained the possibility of two other meetings to discuss the future of the book club for upcoming years with members. 

The schedule for the meetings are as follows:

For “That Weekend”

• Wednesday, March 20 3:20-4 p.m. pages 1-150
  • Monday, March 25 9-10 a.m. pages 1-150
  • Thursday, April 4 3:20-4 p.m.
  • Monday, April 8 9-10 a.m. Part 2 page 151 to end

Possible meeting times for planning out future decisions:

• Thursday, April 25 3:20-4 p.m. page 1-158 
  • Monday, April 29 9-10 a.m. page 1-158 
  • Wednesday, May 13 3:20-4 p.m. page 159-end
  • Monday, May 13 9-10 a.m. page 159-end

Weig expressed that anyone who wants to join is welcome to and she is excited for the turnout of students gathering for a common hobby and/or love of reading.